Wednesday, November 7, 2012

No Idea What I'm Doing-Chapter 2

I got a shelf up as cheaply as possible: already had plywood and the brackets were $1.75 from H.D.

Most of the seedlings sprouted except oregano. Parsley is teeny tiny still.

I transplanted the larger ones into containers I already had, like milk jug, coffee can, paint can liner and a pot I found in the garage.  I don't think the coffee can is working for that cilantro plant, though. 
I did buy two grow lights that you clip onto something. It was a big expense for me at $44 for two lights. I haven't taken the grow lights out the boxes, yet. The contraption doesn't look too simple.  Plus, I need to install "something" for the lights to clamp onto. The daylight is getting shorter. Ohio is overcast more than 50% of the time.  I need artificial sunlight for at least 6 hours. While at the nursery looking for the lowest price grow lights I could find, I was fascinated by all the lighting choices and gadgets, costing hundreds of dollars. I can see how someone can go crazy over indoor gardening!   It's been fun to watch them sprout and grow. I still don't know what I'm doing, yet here they are!

6 comments:

  1. good job mom! Good luck with the cilantro, I couldn't make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good so far!

    (For my money, cilantro wasn't meant to be eaten by humans anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely need a little herb garden of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before opening the lights from the grocery, check out HomeDepot or Lowes, I got some for cheaper than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken, I'm heading to Home Depot tonight for another project.

      Delete
  5. Whether they work out or not - this looks like a fun project - great advice too - I have enjoyed my visit and am your newest follower,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete