Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Date Night and Serial Killers

Clifton Gorge

Crossing the Little Miami River

Little Miami
The Saturday before Thanksgiving Weekend we had a date night. We went to John Bryant State Park and Clifton Gorge Nature Preserve. When I was in college my mountaineering friends and I would drive from Cincinnati to this park frequently to do rock climbing. I hadn't been back to this park in a long time.  We pulled into the parking lot late for the season, around 3:00 pm and sunset started at 5 pm. We walked 4 miles on top of the gorge and then 4 miles down below the gorge along the Little Miami River. The footing is unsteady in most spots, so it's not a brisk walk. I was a little worried at one point that we'd be walking in the dark.

You know I have an overactive imagination concerning serial killers and at one point on the path I felt threatened by some other visitors. A group of four people that looked like they came to woods to do illegal activity, not enjoy the outdoors, were lounging in the middle of the creek on various rocks or tree branches. They were acting obnoxious and strange as if on blotter acid.  We were up above them on the ravine top, and I was trying to figure out how to avoid walking past them once we crossed the river to return to our car. There was something about their appearance and behavior that made me think of kidnapping and torture. Remember the movie, "Last  House on the Left?"  I said something to my husband, and he acknowledged the same feelings I had, but we kept walking.

Forty minutes later we were on the other side of the river. A middle aged man was running up and down the path yelling for someone. He seemed frantic and stopped some young people on the path and asked if they'd seen his son and described him to them. Then off he ran again shouting out the boy's name.  We never came back upon the group of scarey people and I wondered where they had disappeared to as we walked past that spot on the river. My imagination started going wild at that point. My husband commented on how frightening it would be to lose someone in the woods, especially as the sun was going down and the air was getting colder. Still, we walked on in the dimming light.

After our hike,  we went into the neighboring little hippie town of Yellow Springs and had dinner at Ye Olde Trail Tavern. Ye Olde Tavern was built in 1847 along the stage coach. I like to sit in the booth next to the old fireplace and imagine people cooking there in the olden days.

Except for the serial killer anxiety, this was one of my favorite date nights of the year so far.

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wonder why I am so paranoid all the time, checking in the back seat of my car to make sure no one's been there waiting for me, checking behind my shower curtain, double checking to make sure my doors are locked, fear of strange men......I wonder why I am so paranoid? lol

    sounds like a lovely day though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my fault, I guess... I blame horror movies I saw as a pre-teen.

      Delete
  2. Wonder if the man ever found his son? Sounds like a great place to hike except in the fading light.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have a good time except for the scary folks. I would have felt the same way as you. You can't be too careful this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was the only person with a serial killer concern. My imagination can go wild and before you know it the slightest happenstance has ignited a novel in my head. Now do we know if the man found his son?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if the missing person was found. From eavesdropping on the discription it was either teen or young adult he couldn't find. so I've been searching the newspapers around yellow springs to see if something is reported. I found out from doing this that lots of people get lost in the woods there and need rescued!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a mostly good evening...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post in Awesome Blog!
    This is a really nice blog post and the post is inspired me to start Blogging like you after visiting and reading you post.
    Yüz Germe

    ReplyDelete