Thursday, October 25, 2012

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

Home Depot had these seed starter packs on clearance for 50 cents. I couldn't resist. I've never grown anything from seeds before. I'm not counting the grade school project of putting a bean in a wet paper towel to watch it sprout.  I have no idea what I'm doing. I've learned from the internet that growing veggies inside in Ohio in Fall and Winter I need to add a light source so they get over 6 hours of light a day. I've learned to not let them dry out. However, I have mold growing on the pellets from too much moisture. At least I think that's why there is mold growing on the little pellets.

Sitting on top of the turn table is probably not the best place for them. So, my next DIY project is to put up some shelves across this window.

I just hope they don't die.

9 comments:

  1. I think shelves are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with them!! It will be a learning process on what works best for their growth! Let us know how it goes!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew squash from seeds for the first time this year. But I started them at the end of the winter (really, early spring). I wonder if they were on clearance because it's unusual to start them now? At any rate, when I did mine, I put a lamp directly on them (one of those clamp on lamps with the round metal shield).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement. Did you use a regular 100 watt bulb? The only Grow Lights I've found are $200 or more!

      Delete
    2. I just used a regular lightbulb - a CFL type. I am not spending that kind of money on a grow light!

      Delete
  4. My friends and family all consider me to be a true green thumb. I learned long ago to be a green thumb you need to know the secret-throw away anything that does not look good and do it quick before anyone notices, replace if possible. On a more serious note herbs will do OK but anything else will quickly give you a brown thumb this time of year. Keep them in the window and add a light source and they will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I have historically been a brown thumb. I'm searching for some used Frow Lights on craigslist to save money.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the encouragement, too!

      Delete