Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Note to Myself: Young Adult

Note to myself:
I watched the movie Young Adult the other night. Brilliant. The writing, the directing, the acting is all brilliant. The writer's name is Diablo Cody Diablo (Brooke Busey-a real life stripper and peep show perfomer) LOL. . One review I read negatively reported it was a movie about a drunken woman and they were subjected every 10 minutes to her hangover mornings. This critic has no idea what art is. The alcoholic's repeated morning ritual of hangover, dehydration, and "what the hell did I do last night," is the story of their lives. Simply said, the movie is brilliant.

This note to myself is not about alcoholism. It's about writing. The movie inspired me. What the hell am I doing with my life? Why am i absorbed in this digital world of email, text messages, facebook, and television? It's numbing my mind and killing my creativity. I've made excuses my whole life as to why I'm not writing.

Mavis Gary has an awakening moment. "I need to change."
It takes 180 days of doing the same thing to become a habit. It's not 21 days like you always hear about. It's 180 days.

Note to self: I need to change.

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is good to shake things up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. August 31st was my day to avoid all media and tech devices and I had a delightful day working on my art projects. Yet, here I am back again. Addictive? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too..I was thinking about this very thing today..Then I do it all over again...Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a couple of hobbies that I am passionate about. One is photography and the other is writing. Once upon a time, my blog was almost entirely made up of stories about my life. I found out that blogging can be great practice for writing, because it makes you write. Somewhere along the line, my blog became more of a place to exhibit photos of things we do and see. Now there are very few written posts on it. My overall writing has suffered because of that. I may be full of it, but I'm fairly convinced.

    ReplyDelete