Friday, July 13, 2012

Thrift Store & Disturbing Thoughts




Since I had new kitchen cabinets and counters installed I found I have less storage space. The result has meant leaving a pile of bread and bagel packages out on the kitchen counter. I've been searching for an attractive bread box online to solve this problem. The ones I like are over $50! I decided to go check out the thrift stores in hunt of a bread box. While at the Goodwill store I found this Jack LaLanne juicer for only $4.99! Cool, I thought. I've always wanted a juicer but no way was I going to pay $100 to $150 for a small kitchen appliance that I might use once and decide I don't like.

I put the juicer in my cart, and being thrilled at the find, I snapped a photo of it with my new Droid. While I was slowing making my way up to the checkout counter I began to having disturbing thoughts. "Who owned this juicer before?" "What did they put in it?" "Did they clean it?" "What if...a very cruel, sadistic person put a racoon in it? Or...a serial killer cannibal owned it and they put human body parts in it?"

Immediately, I made a hurried rush for the shelves and put the juicer back.

7 comments:

  1. An active imagination can sometimes be a bad thing! Ha! Bleach is the cure-all, even for pureed racoons. Won't try on hats at second hand stores because I'm afraid of getting lice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way the story started I actually expected you to spy a bread box on your way out of the store. Too bad you put the juicer back because you could have sold it on eBay:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a great idea. I could use the extra money! I think I'll go back and get it, if it's still there.

      Delete
  3. I am not good at thrift stores because I can always think unpleasant things about the history of the stuff in there! I start thinking like a crime scene investigator : mmm whose DNA is left on this sweater etc etc. !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! It was probably a 23 y/o kid who heard from a friend that juicing was the way to lose weight, so when he got two of his wisdom teeth out, his parents bought him a juicer so he would get some food in him while he couldn't chew and then four months later it sits on the counter collecting dust.....just saying :)(true story; son heard from a friend they were wonderful for weight loss; he juiced for about a month, now it is collecting dust :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope that great deal is still there. Certainly a very active imagination...

    ReplyDelete