Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Day

Christmas is officially over for our family. Oh, remember the casserole I told you about? It was-- H O R R I B L E! It was inedible. I didn't start preparing for the holiday until Christmas Eve, and my kitchen is torn apart, so to cut corners I bought a frozen casserole from GFS. It was bad. Very bad!

I enjoyed watching my kids & my husband open their gifts.

We skyped my oldest daughter who was enjoying her Christmas with her hubster at Princeton.

After the gift opening, and throwing our uneaten paper plates full of yuck, we realized I forgot they had stockings. I forget every year! So do my kids! The tradition is always the same. After gifts, after eating, people retire to relaxing activities. Then someone says, Hey! What's in this room! Stockings?! yay. Funny that no matter how old you are, a stocking filled with razors, socks, chewing gum can bring so much cheer.

We took the party over to my mother's condo later in the day to celebrate with my brother and his wife. Usually there are cousins to play with. This year, only one of his kids was home for Christmas. She brought her boyfriend so the more was merrier. I got my niece crazy felt elves I found at a silent auction. I knew she'd love them and she did. She even named them. For my mom I found a pillow in the colors of her guest room, which says "My Cat Walks All Over Me" Her kitty, Oscar, does walk all over her! He runs her household and is somewhat bossy.

The next day both my kids had to work, yet my husband had the day off. So he and I drove 2 1/2 hours north to see his 90-year-old mother, and the BOL. I felt so sad that she didn't see any of her grandchildren for Christmas. At least her daughter and son in law had come to her home on Christmas Day. She is such an understanding lady and she was thrilled with the gift my husband got her. He got her a Learn to Speak German course using cassette tapes and a little book. At 90 years of age she said she was wanting something to do during the harsh winter besides read books! She opened up the package and started her first lesson while we were there.

The drive home was a little somber. I pondered the fact that I'll be a true empty nester next year. Adult children and adult nieces and nephews are all moving to states far away. Our lives are changing and constantly change.

Tuesday it was back to work for Olin and I. The cabinets & sink are at a complete STOP. Olin needs to work 14 hour days every day until Jan. 1st to finish out the fiscal year. Add his driving time in, and he has no time to finish the project. I still need to pick out counter tops and a sink anyway. So hopefully I can get to Home Depot to pick out some counters and a sink tomorrow.

To Da Lou

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a great Christmas for all of you - minus the casserole. No on to the New Year. Wishing you the best in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stockings are so much fun, we wrap what goes in and do them first, it takes a while and sets the tone. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a funny story about the stockings. Everyone forgets every year? That's a great tradition in itself!

    Too bad about the casserole, but it sounds like you had lots of fun. That will be fun for your mom-in-law to learn German. Great gift. My empty nest threw me for a loop. I went to college for awhile because I was so bored. I loved it. Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you guys had a good Christmas. Sorry about the casserole :-( I can't wait to see what your kitchen looks like when you are through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It wouldn't be a holiday without a room torn apart! Our children are scattered all over the country too. Plus having all boys, you know the saying about a son is a son until he takes a wife. At first it Christmas felt a little sad, but then we just changed our focus on all the jolly noisy activities to quieter ones. It's a different kind of happiness but it is still happiness. And now we've gotten to the point where the hustle and bustle just feels like too much. PS: I think it's wonderful that your 90 year old mother is learning German!

    ReplyDelete