Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Real Mermaid Thanksgiving





I got off the plane from Cali at 1am. At 7am I hit the pavement running for real estate and got as much done as I could before 10pm. That's because at 3 am we were piled in the car for a 17-hour drive to Florida. Our destination was Weeki Wachee to visit my 98 year old grandma.

We met up with my brother's family (all 8 of them), my sister's family (only 4 of them came) & my mom. We all stayed in the same condo complex on Hudson Beach.

I love birds and there were birds outside my grandma's nursing home, birds in the lagoon outside our condo, birds everywhere. I am so blessed I got to see pink spoonbills, bald eagles, osprey, snowy egrets, peacocks, and some weird birds I don't even know what they are (yet).

We got local seafood and cooked it up in our condo kitchens and had a feast of crab, red snapper, bay scallops, shrimp, clams, complimented with southern hush puppies. Omg. so good.

We went kayaking. We talked religion. We talked economics. We told stories. We laughed.

We visited the grandma and heard wonderful stories from the 1930's.

The cousins took lots of photos together. We sat in the sun, we went out to dinner, we woke up late. We drank fresh coffee on the balcony and watched out for manatees and dolphins playing in the lagoon.

Games were played. People napped. We watched fish and shark swim around. We admired gorgeous Florida flowers and palms.

For Thanksgiving everyone was in the party house at the same time for a huge traditional turkey meal. I cooked turkey breast & stuffing, and brought pumpkin pies. We got in one huge circle, held hands, and my brother prayed over the meal. (miss you Dad)

Becca's boyfriend drove over from FSU and spent the night. He brought his explosive energy to our game-playing and stepped the competition up a notch or two or three.
Our last day it was so hard to please everyone, but everyone came along to see the the Mermaids of Weeki Wachee. So glad we did. It was really fun and Florida institution. (and that's where I saw the peacocks and eagles) We really missed Rachael and her husband. That would have made the huge week long Florida party perfect.








2 comments:

  1. Wow, I bet you were tired when you finally got home after all your travels! Sounds like a nice Thanksgiving and visit and I'm sure it as neat to see your 98 y/o grandmother!

    betty

    ReplyDelete