Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I Remember Dad

My father made his living selling insurance. One day he went to the local Christian bookstore. At the time this was a very large Christian book retailer with multiple locations, and they advertised heavily on Christian radio. As he entered the building, he had a cheerful heart being among fellow brethren and the atmosphere of the store. He approached the owner, held out his business card and said, "I'd like the opportunity to speak to you about your insurance needs." The owner took the card, looked at it, and then shoved it back at my dad and bluntly stated, "I only do business with Christians." My dad stood there and looked at his business card. His company logo was on it, a sales award seal, and about 3 degrees after his name. No bible verse was added. No little "fishy" symbol or "cross" symbol. Instead of defending himself, or explaining that he was indeed a Servant of his Lord, my dad just put his card away. Said, thank you for your time. Have a nice day. Then left.

I asked my dad why he didn't speak up and at least "meet the objection" as they say in sales lingo. My dad answered, he didn't have Peace.


Philippians 4:7 The peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. Shame on that business owner, kudos to your dad for realizing he didn't have peace. Sad when people say something like that first without getting the whole facts, or at least talking to your dad for a few minutes, feeling him out, etc. Terrible witnessing for that store owner. And we wonder why sometimes others don't have a high opinion of Christians.

    betty

    ReplyDelete