Friday, September 9, 2011

Vacation & Juvenile Court




I've been busy or else staring off into space. I went on a quick trip to Princeton, New Jersey to see Rachael. We stayed in her married-student-housing apartment with her & the son-in-law. Now most people who go on trips want to see special places and do special things. In this instance, I told Rachael that I'd be happy just sticking around the apartment, eating dinner together and watching movies together. Just time together.

So no trip to the bustling city was made, and no scurrying here there and everywhere. Rachael cooked us up some good grub, like enchiladas and lasagna and homemade chicken salad. We went to a farm and picked raspberries! That was fun. We looked at the pony and the goats and the chickens. We sampled some awesome nectarine salsa and bought some to take home.
After our little farm visit, we made a raspberry tart for our desert that evening. It was very yummy. We also went canoeing on an old abandoned canal, which took us under old train tracks and bridges. I also got to see the famous garden that Rachael started in the Spring in the married-student-housing-community-garden. That's her up there with a giant-sized Basil plant. She'll probably make me take this photo down cuz she's in muck boots & no makeup. She is so vain. Seriously.

We ate lunch at a brewery in downtown Princeton, too. And, of course, we walked past Princeton Theological Seminary where Rachael is studying and past Princeton University. Both are wonderfully old, gothic beauties with stained glass windows everywhere. We also drove past Einstein's house and I took a photo of it. (it's a private residence today) We drove past two of Woodrow Wilson's homes and Olin took photos of them. And, we walked around an old, old grave yard and saw some dead people's graves. I was impressed with the grave of the great revivalist John Edwards, who preached in the 1700's a famous sermon called, "Sinners in the Hands of Angry God."
I really enjoyed seeing the church where Rachael will be interning with the youth. It's a really, really old congregation dating back to 1772! I enjoyed their contemporary service, and the sermon was something you'd hear in a Vineyard. Meaning I liked it: it was on the Love of God. You honestly cannot hear enough about the Love of God. God is not mean. He's real. A good sermon brings you back to center. So I was a happy mommy getting to see where Rachael and Kevin will be worshiping and ministering over the next several months.

I had many favorite moments on our trip. One of which was my son, Sam, and Rachael singing a few songs together while Rachael played piano. Music makes life worth living doesn't it?
And Clancy. He makes smile so much.

This morning Sam and Olin and I went down to Juvenile Court as Sam got a ticket going 92 mph in 65 mph. This was a very interesting experience. I wish I could have sat in on all the sessions to see if we got special treatment because we are white, and Sam wore a dress shirt and tie, and we were clean looking. That would be very interesting to see how everyone else was treated as everyone else waiting for their turn with the judge had on jeans, or football jerseys, or girl's wearing clothing too small for their bodies and showing parts that I would not let my child show, especially to appear in court. The judge's decision is somewhat subjective. There isn't a menu of offenses and a corresponding punishment. So, basically he could have had a suspension, (I mean 92 mph people!) along with $150 in court costs, plus 4 whole points on his license. Think of the insurance costs on that! Instead court costs were waived, he was ordered to take traffic school, and thus the 4 points get knocked down to 2 points! No suspension. All I can say is, I think Jesus might have had something to do with the mercy received today. Or was it just, well, .... prejudice?

Justice is supposed to be blind. I hope it is.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice vacation to see your daughter/son-in-law; I bet her ministry will be a good one! You are right; it is always good to hear sermons about the love of God!

    Having a bit of experience with the juvenile court system (son being a slow learner), attitude and respect goes a long way I think. We stressed the importance of being respectful and polite while in front of the judge and did of course pray a lot about it (not for him to get off the hook because guilty is guilty) but just for God's presence to be there, etc.

    I truly believe God intervened in several things when son was in court (it was only two offenses, but several court visits). He vandalized something which carries an automatic sentence of losing your driver's license for a year. I was prepared for that. I was not prepared for the defense attorney (that we hadn't even hired, knowing he was guilty, LOL, but who got assigned to him). She asked for a restricted license for him so he could drive to school and work for that year (95% of the time he was compliant with it, we strived for 100%, but he was a teen). That was God working because that was the furthest thing from my mind.

    I have another two stories too about how God intervened and it was only God's intervention; can't say coincidence or anything else related to son but won't write about them in a public forum like this.

    Let's hope your son got the lesson to slow down just a tiny bit :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I don't mind the picture! I don't look fat, so we're cool.

    glad you guys could come. I miss you all.

    ReplyDelete