Friday, July 1, 2011

We All Have the Same Promise

The real estate market is bad. For example, in our area, there are 50% less sales this year than last. Just think about that for a minute: Fifty percent. Prices have dropped 7 percent making it stressful in the business of helping people sell their homes. It's hard for them, whether rich or poor, to realize they have no equity and that they either must force the house into foreclosure to sell it, or bring money to the closing table just to sell. Some do have equity, but it's a lot less than it was last year.

Agents that I know who were very successful, are now out of the business all together. Some went bankrupt and are job seeking. Some just retired. Many got jobs. Monday at the association I belong to I was shocked to realize how many of these full time agents now have additional part time jobs.

The business is so bad, I think, I can't make a living. Business is so bad, I think, I really need to make a big career change.

I am fickle about real estate. Should I quit or should I stay? Should I get a normal job? Should I leave the business? Things are so bad, I tell myself, as I drive through the city looking at properties. There are so many for sale signs and so many properties that have been for sale for over a year, some two years, some more.

Then this story came to mind yesterday:
1Samuel 17:23-27
"Behold, there came up the champion, the Phillistine of Gath, Goliath by name, out of the armies of the Phillistines, and spake according to the same words: and David heard them. AND ALL THE MEN OF ISRAEL, WHEN THEY SAW THE MAN, FLED FROM HIM, AND WERE SORE AFRAID. AND, THE MEN OF ISRAEL SAID, HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MAN THAT IS COME UP? SURELY TO DEFY ISRAEL.....
...and David spake to the men that stood by him, saying, "WHAT SHALL BE DONE TO THE MAN THAT KILLETH THIS PHILLISTINE?"

The answer to David's question was the man who killed the giant would receive great riches, plus get the princess to marry, plus have full access and rights to the palace.

So why EVERYONE else is ready to run away and hide, wail and complain about their situation with the Phillistines, David looks at the situation instead and asks, "What will be done to the man who solves this problem?" I love this. Not, "whoa is me," but "Hmm, I wonder how much money I would make if I tackle this?"

All the men of Israel had the exact same promise that David had. So, the story goes, David tries to use the tactics of the great warriors of his day, but discards them for his own style. He runs without armour out to meet the giant head on, flings a rock at the guy and kills the giant. David became the champion, received the great riches, got the pretty princess, got full access to the palace. This opportunity was available to all the men of Israel that day. Only David saw the opportunity. The others saw gloom and doom. All of them had the King of Glory on their side. Only one believed it.

I have been thinking about all those for sale signs out there. What shall be done for the lady that can sell a house in this impossible market?

With God all things are possible.
Yesterday, I had a closing. I give God all the glory for this sale. I know His hand was in it, start to finish.

So, what shall be done for the lady that can sell a house today? I might just charge a higher fee, perhaps collect money up front for all the advertising I must pay for, and all the fees for internet sites. Maybe I need to discard the common armour of agents today and come up with my own plan to get these houses sold.

Anyway, that's what I've been thinking about. The Promises of God. Yes, they apply to our everday life. I don't want to say, "whoa is me, the market is so bad," instead I want to ask, "hmmm, I wonder how much money I can make if I solve these folks' problems?"







3 comments:

  1. great perspective to take. For the life of me, I can't remember his name but there's a realtor here that I saw advertised on TV the other morning at the gym who was quoting his success rates in selling houses. It was pretty high I thought for our market, which is sadly like yours. I know he said things of what he offered that seemed like reasonable things to do, cancel contract at any time came to mind; the other ones didn't LOL. But here's my point, there is a good new strategy out there to selling homes. Being clever and thinking it through I'm sure you will discover it and be able to help people get in to homes and people out of their homes and do it with grace and dignity and wisdom and respect, especially for those that are faced with foreclosure or short sales.

    Side note, thanks be to God; we sold our house in Montana five years ago when the market was doing great; that equity is keeping us afloat these days until hubby finds a job. I'm very thankful indeed!

    What I also love about David was he didn't like that the Phillistines were insulting God. He was willing to defend God's honor so to speak and go up against Goliath. I would hope to be that brave some day if so challenged!

    I look forward to hearing of your real estate adventures if you choose to share them :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog; it made my day!

    You hit the nail on the head with your post; we can either complain and attract more things to complain about, or have faith and let the miracles happen.

    We have a house in Idaho that is patiently waiting for new buyers, but we are having faith that the perfect family will come along and move in soon. :)

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! It's so uplifting to hear a positive perspective in light of everything that's been going on in the real estate market. You're hopeful outlook and inspiration from the bible is very inspiring and reminds me of that old expression, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

    ReplyDelete