Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Love Weeds, But Then...



Behind my house lots of beautiful weeds grew & grew




Behind my house thistle grew 5 ft tall. Not a fan of Lamb's Ear out of control.



You can' t see it all, but it began to make my mind cluttered and sad seeing the untidy patio out my kitchen window. No where to go to meditate and think without confusing chaos surrounding me.




It was hard work in 99 degree weather. This is the after.




I planted some "Butterfly" flowers and some sort of green and white bush things. I cut the Hemlock way back. The Hemlock is too big for the dainty spot it's in. Yet it's so pretty I kept it.

Hoeing this area by hand made me think of my time in Haiti. The men would be in their fields hoeing and hacking before the sun came up. If I got up to tip toe to the latrine at 4 AM, I would hear the swooshing of their tools and see an outline of their crouching bodies slowly making their way through the rows of sugar cane, moon & stars the only light, underneath the sky-scraper coconut trees.


4 comments:

  1. you did great, lots of hard work!! I'm sure it is more refreshing now looking out your windows!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way that your garden looks! Beautiful!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you really cleaned up! I love the story of Haiti; it must be a special memory to return to for you.

    Love,

    Marqueta

    p.s. I found out recently that Lamb's ears is good for bites and scrapes! Handy to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difference! That must have been a lot of hard work! I just read that lambs quarters can be eaten but not too much since they are high in oxalic acid. Don't know if I have the courage to try them, but it's always nice to know that there is food just there for the taking.

    ReplyDelete