Friday, December 31, 2010

Random Thinking on New Year's Eve

After subzero temperatures it's a blue-skied Spring day here. Driving into the neighborhood I watched the geese flying about. They seem confused. Their giant flock broke into a myriad of little flocks and they flapped about every which way. I saw a hawk all poofed up and fat sitting in a tree by the road waiting for some poor rabbit or mouse to make a move.

This Christmas Tree is my favorite that I've ever gotten. It's the perfect size and proportioned all around. I decided I'm not taking it down until it turns brown, I like it that much.

The noise and activity of Christmas seems so far away now. My favorite Christmas memory, you ask? Christmas Eve in the middle of the night I woke up. In the dark room and quiet house, I was tucked in a warm bed, (except my head was freezing, it was really cold in my room) and I realized my kids were sleeping in the rooms down the hall. We were all together in this house at the same time. I hadn't had that feeling for a long time. I felt really "rich" and exceedingly blessed.

My nephew spent Christmas in prison. I tried not to think about it on Christmas Day. However, this fact is spurring me on to get involved in Prison Visitations/Outreach programs. I'm not sure where to start with this desire I have to visit prisoners, but I do plan to start looking for opportunities.

I've been a Scrooge/Grinch for many years. During the very Christmasy part of the holiday I would start to feel like I don't like Christmas and as soon as I'd think "I hate Christmas", I would turn my car and see something fun and festive. For example, I was in the parking lot of the grocery store and I just about started to complain when suddenly a horse drawn wagon with Christmas bells jingling rolled past us. The driver had a top hat on and a cape. Now that was fun! Things like that kept happening to confront my negative scrooginess. There's a Caroling Party that my friend, Blanche, has had 25 years in a row. I started attending her party 20 years ago. I've only missed one party. That's part of Christmas that I enjoy. It was freezing outside. So, after we sang for a street full of houses, our hands and faces were numb and our toes hurt from the cold. Hot cocoa and pies and cakes thaw us out!

Another holiday memory is going out to my brother's farm, which is always a comfortable and fun visit with my family. We played lots of games like Outburst, Pictionary, Mexican Train, and a game where you guess what people will "like." My niece was adopted as a teenager and she's from the Phillipians. It was great hearing her speak up boldly and play games with all of us. She hasn't been able to really speak with the language barrier, but it was FUN to have her interacting and talking. I'm really proud of her! We had to come home early because Samuel started to panick about his Japanese studies. He's had two whole weeks to work on Japanese and decides on the evening we're having fun at the farm that he has to study Japanese right now. Teenagers. Grumpf.

Yesterday, I drove a missionary couple to the other side of town to look at a house to buy. We get there, and the Sellers won't let us in. I don't mind this as it happens to me from time to time. I just felt bad for the missionaries because I know they are very busy and had a hard time finding a couple hours to fit in. I enjoyed their company and their fellowship though. They're such a calm, peaceful, loving couple.

I made my way to the other side of town today to the Bulk Mail office of the US Post Office. My magnet calendars are going to be few days late, but they are on their way to 700 homes! The clerk at the Post Office said they were cute. Then I had a request from some new people to go house hunting. I met them today, too. Sales last month were down in my town by 28% over last year at this time. I didn't need anyone to tell me that. LOL. Though the income is needed, it was so nice to have a quiet couple of weeks.

I've been reading a really good book, "Under the Overpass," by Mike Yankoski. I will be giving a little review of the book as soon as I finish it.

I bought sushi, and blue crab to munch on tonight to celebrate the New Year. Other than that, those are my plans for the evening. Cheers* Happy New Year!










3 comments:

  1. I am sorry your nephew was in prison for Christmas, but obviously it was a choice he allowed to be a consideration when he chose to go against the law. having said that, I am sure it wasn't what his parents thought would happen when they held him as a newborn. I think prison ministry would be something good to get involved in, interestingly it is something I want to pursue after we move. I'd check to see if there are any local churches that might be involved in it. rest of your Christmas sounded like it was a nice one, too cute about having found the "perfect" tree this year!

    Happy New Year!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I've been wanting to read Under the Overpass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the tree was a beauty, much prettier and better smelling than our 20 dollar fake from wally world. I loved Christmas in Ohio this year, will miss it next year :(

    ReplyDelete