Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Portrait of a Chrstian

Not only in the words you say,
Not only in your deeds confessed.
But in the most unconscious way
Is Christ expressed.

Is a beatific smile?
A holy light upon your brow?
Oh no, I saw His presence when
You laughed just now.

To me twas not the truth you taught,
To you so clear to me so dim.
But when you came to me
You brought a sense of Him.

And from His light He beckons me,
And from your lips His love is shed.
Til I lose sight of you and see
The Christ instead.

Is a beatific smile?
A holy light upon your brow?
Oh no, I saw His presence when
You laughed just now.

From the poem, "Portrait of a Christian" by Beatrice Clelland

The above lyrics are from Phil Keagy's song The Portrait, which is taken from a poem by Beataric Clelland called Portrait of a Christian.

You may know that I've been church homeless for a long time. I still am. I've been craving community and fellowship, and know I can't long for the good ole days. They're gone. We went to some new acquaintance's home for a Thanksgiving dinner together with the folks from the little church that we've been visiting. You know, the one where I interrupted the preacher and said "speak for yourself," LOL. Yeah it's awkward. However, tonight was lovely.

A pretty house, pretty food, and gracious Christian fellowship. It helps that the Buckeyes won. Why is it better when they win? It just is. So, one of the gals likes poetry, too. She reminded me of this song tonight, which is actually someones poem, not just lyrics. Isn't it a great poem? I love it.


2 comments:

  1. hoping you can "connect" with a church soon; it is good to have that fellowship on top of course with great worship and a message preached from the Word :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Betty! I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete