Thursday, September 9, 2010

St. Francis of Assissi

My Amazon order arrived. I had had a strong desire to read actual writings of St. Francis for months and months. My seminary daughter did a paper on him last year and I couldn't stop thinking about this eccentric man. Was he crazy or was it real? I found a book on Amazon called the Writings of St. Francis of Assissi.



I'm not Catholic. I don't know much about Catholicism. My first reaction was, "of my! Francis was SO Catholic" LOL.



I had to put the book down after a couple pages and ponder this idea of Jesus' body being the communion elements. This is a bizarre idea for me. According to Francis I'm going to hell because I can't "see" the Lord's Body there. Well, I can "see" the Lord there, sort of in my mind's eye, like a representation. I treat it respectfully, but I'm having some serious problems with this first part of Francis' writings! I agreed and felt a kindred spirit with what he put forth, until I read the part about Jesus becoming, through some mystical practice, the actual elements. Being mystical, myself, I am not throwing this theory out all together. I need to think about it though. I'm not saying I don't believe that, but I need to think about it more. Francis says that in the "hands of the priest" it becomes Jesus' body. I am a priest. That much is perfectly clear to me.



Would I be considered a Priestess since I'm female? I remember hearing my friends argui over this doctrine and I always just shut up my ears to the arguing. What's the big deal? Who cares, I thought. Today, after reading Francis, I'm a little more interested in this Eucharist question. I do not think my eternal life is determined by this one belief, however. There are, afterall, orphans that need clothed, fed, and loved, and prisoners that feel abandoned and alone and need visited! Communion elements is the least of my concerns regarding religious matters. At least for today. Hopefully, I'll have more to report on Francis in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment