Saturday, June 19, 2010

Decorating Torture

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/columnists/mjameson/stories/DN-nhg_jameson_0817liv.ART.State.Edition1.42b81d6.html



I found this article while searching for some tips on decorating a coffee table. It describes exactly what I have been going through for the past 1 1/2 hours this morning! When I have business to attend to. When I have out of town guests to feed. When I need to exercise.

Why am I trying to decorate a coffee table? I had Olin take an old coffee table out of a spare bedroom and asked him to take it to the basement to hide. I hadn't had the courage to donate this table or put it out by the street for someone to grab. It's a Pennsylvania House Queen Anne style coffee table. Since it's solid cherry and not the fake stuff, I had a hard time parting with it. But it's ugly. When I came in the front door last night after showing houses, surprise! There was the coffee table in the living room in front of the contempary, Italian, chocolate brown settee. They don't really go together. Yet somehow it kinda looked OK. The coffee table had been hidden in the spare bedroom for about four years.

Emerging in the living room made me think. Distracted me from business. Distracted me from the 2 mile walk I need to get in this morning and the 10 mintue Total Gym workout. Distracted me from the grocery list. Here's the article, and I love it. It's exactly how I feel. Right now my coffe table looks like a total dork with a book about Ohio lying in it's side, and a ceramic cardinal bird and cermaic Loraine, OH lighthouse sitting on top of it. (Get the theme?) However, it looks like I did that. That's why designer's charge $350 an hour!



In addition to the Dallas paper article, here's a blog post about coffee tables from one of my fav decorating bloggers:

http://www.thenester.com/2010/06/how-to-accessorize-a-coffee-table.html

1 comment:

  1. I read that nester article yesterday, she does great stuff! good luck with the table. :)
    who's in from out of town?

    ReplyDelete